Sunday, July 29, 2007

Hola de Argentina!!!!

Buenos Tardes, Buenos Aires!

I am here safe and sound in beautiful Argentina. My flight was good, waited at JFK for a while on the runway...but once we got in the air I fell asleep and was only awake for 1.5 hours.

In Argentina I meet some fellow students waiting in line for Passport Control. We helped each other get lug age, exchange some money...and then meet the group outside of customs.

Once we were met by the IES leaders, we jumped on a bus that took us to MicroCentre, the location of my school. From there, we all left and went to our respective homestays. I could have walked, since I live only 8 blocks away, but since this was my first day I decided to take a taxi. I had a wonderful conversation with the driver, and then pulled up to the address I had been given.

I got my stuff out of the cab, and as it pulled away, I stood in shock at what a great experience I am about to embark upon.

After calling my host mother and her letting me in downstairs, I found that I live in a beautiful French building. Marble floors and a elegant white spiraling staircase are behind the giant oak front door. Once inside, we squeezed all of my luggage into the elevator, which is old-fashioned and requires you to pull the gate door closed. On the third floor we entered the apartment....

The apartment is a beautiful place to live. With a nice view onto a patio in between buildings with laundry hanging and flowers blowing in the wind, it is perfect. The apartment has all wood floors and a very European feel to it.

I have my own bedroom, which I am sitting in now, having finished unpacking all of my belongings. Also, I have my own bedroom. The entire apartment, including my bedroom, is wired for Internet access.

My mother is a very friendly woman who enjoys speaking to me in Spanish. She speaks slower to me than she does to her friend on the phone. During the hour conversation we had as she gave me the tour of the apartment, I was only really confused on a few words, which she somehow described to me in broken English enough for me to understand.

Her husband and son are both out, and she expects them to come home soon. Her soon, 28, is a boat architect, or that is the closest description I could get out of my mother. He was a soccer star in high school, and now plays guitar and golf (as do I) and enjoys water adventure sports like windsurfing. I have a feeling we will get along. He has a Mac and I caught glimpse of a iPod speaker in the living room.

The neighborhood is a very quiet but refreshingly stunning area. I am going to go out for a walk shortly.

My cell phone is having problems connecting to the USA....so don't feel left out if I dont call you today.

Hope everyone is doing well and not missing me.

Only great things await me.............

Hasta La Vista

Check out some first day photos!!! Click on the photo below to see the rest of the album

UPDATE: This link should work...sorry for the confusion

First Week in Buenos Aires

No comments: