Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Learning the dialects of Argentina

Today started out as many of my days at school in the United States do, me waking up late and needing to hurry to make it out of the door on time. I got to the bathroom late, and knew that I needed to take a quick shower. It was there that I encountered a problem. The drying rack for laundry is hanging in the opposite corner of the bathroom than the showerhead, but there is no specific place for the shower. The entire bathroom acts as a shower, since the showerhead just pours water on me as I walk around in the bathroom. I didn't want to soak that clean clothes that were drying, but I needed to shower quickly, so I decided to be safe, I would drape my towel over the drying rack to make sure none of the clothes got wet. It was a funny and quirky way to start my day.

I left the house around 8.30am and headed for a local bakery that Patricia had recommended last night. I found it ok, and when I walked in an asked for two medialunas, the guy gave me a weird look. I thought I had said something wrong, but instead he handed me a basket with a tong, and pointed to the wall of pastries on the other side of the shop. After picking out what I wanted, I paid for the two sweet croissants (1,20 pesos) and was on my way to school. The walk is very short and know that I know the area a little better, I walk faster since I do not need to look around as much to get my bearings. It only took about 12 minuets from the bakery to my school. There, the classes didn't start until 9.30, which was very frustrating. I think I just need to get used to Latin American time.

The program split into different classes, but I found out that I was placed in the lowest level, since the only knowledge they have about my Spanish is how many semesters in college I have taken (a big fat zero). My teacher, Silvana, was very animated and was really good at speaking slowly so everyone could understand. I really enjoyed listening to her talk and focusing on understanding all of the Spanish. The class took a break after an hour and a half of her telling us the differences between Spanish taught in the US, and the Spanish spoken in Buenos Aires. At this point, I went up to the teacher with another student, Patricio, who also seemed interested in talking to her about renting bikes to ride around the city. After a quick talk, she told me that she thought my Spanish was good enough to advance to the next level, but to be sure I should wait till tomorrow to see. I was very pleased with that, since I didn't talk that much during the class. I must have one of the lesser confused looks on my face while she was speaking.

We then reconvened in the basement for a slideshow of famous people and places of Argentina. This was very helpful to know, since the people we discussed have plazas and streets named after them. It was the first history lesson of Buenos Aires I think we will receive. We finished this a little faster than the other classes, so we got off for lunch around 11.30....and needed to be back around 1.30pm. A few of us headed down the street to find a cafe for lunch, since we had such a long time. We found a small cafe with sandwiches and pizza, and we sat down for lunch. We had ordered two large pizzas to share with four people, and that was plenty. We had tried some exotic pizzas, including one with anchovies, one with only onions on bread, and one with mushrooms. All of the slices had a giant olive in the middle, and the olive had a pit you couldn't eat. Lunch was a good time to get to know some new people and talk about each others homestays and residence halls. For lunch and the drinks we shared, it was about 5 dollars each.

Back at school we went into a class that discussed the possibility of taking a class with a local university. These introductory presentations are really bad, since they are in English and I am not learning Spanish, as well as the fact they just read the words off the PowerPoint slides. This lecture did have some interesting information, since I have been thinking of taking a dance or art class at a local university. It think opens many doors to meeting and interacting with locals, and the Spanish used in those classes is not very advanced.

The next lecture was about the rigorous student visa process that we need to go through. There are 3 steps with many gruesome details for each step. We entered the country on a tourist visa, and need to change to a student visa, so when the tourist visa expires, we do not become illegal immigrants in Argentina. Also, we were given information about some organized trips that IES has during the semester. There are a few trips included in the program costs, and I am excited to take advantage of those opportunities. For example, they have scheduled a two day and one night trip to Uruguay for October, and a one day trip to an Argentinian ranch sometime soon. There are also longer trips that they offer which are optional and are during our spring break. I do not think that I will participate in those trips, since I would rather travel with a small group than with the program. There is something to be said about doing it yourself when you have a chance like this.

That lecture ended around 4.15pm, and by 4.30 a group of us were walking down to Aveneda Sante Fe, a busy street with many shops on both sides. After a while of walking and leading the group in the right direction, Nell and I broke off from the group, since many of them are speaking English and walking very slow. I was on a quest to find a cheap watch, since I had no way of telling time besides looking at my cell phone, which is very inconvenient.

I didn't really know where to get a watch, so I had asked some locals at the school earlier in the morning, and they had recommended I go down the Sante Fe street and explore the many shops. I walked by a store that sold nice mens clothes, and paused when I saw how cheap the prices were. The store was having a very big sale, and nice button down shirts were only 29 pesos (around 1o USD) and fleeces were only 49 pesos (around 17 USD). I walked in and started to peruse the store. I was able to ask for basic help, and even asked how to convert American pant sizes with Argentinian sizes. When I left the store, I owned a new pair of nice gray slacks and a pull over black fleece, all for around 80 pesos (apprx. 28 USD).

The next store we stopped in was a shoe store for Nell, who was so surprised to see that the nice leather boots were only 100 pesos (3o USD). After a few stores, we realized how dangerous cheap clothing can be over a long period of time. It is very rare that I buy new clothing for myself, since I tend to wear clothes until they fall apart. But with cheap prices like these, what is not to love?

After a few stores that only had expensive watches, I saw a sign for "Relojeria". This little shop had many watches and seemed to be the right location for what I needed. I walked in and asked the man behind the counter, "I need a cheap watch only to tell time. Do you have anything for me?" He showed me a few options, and I choose a white analog watch with a nice metal chain. It only cost me 38 pesos ( 13 USD).

At this point I had accomplished my goal (plus a pair of nice pants and a fleece) and Nell had bought a new pair of pants. We decided we would go to the IES Center, which was only 3 blocks from where we were, so that we could use the free computers and sit and relax for a little. As Nell used the computers, I spoke with the orientation leaders about taking classes in local universities, the best brand for mate, and other things. I was so proud of myself for being able to hold my own with the locals when talking in Spanish. They definitely spoke much slower than usual, but it still was a pretty good conversation.

After we left the Center, we stopped at a bar for a few drink before we had to go home. Cafe Plaza was on the corner of Sante Fe and Avenida 9 de Julio, and was the perfect place to sit and talk for a little. When we ordered our beer, it came with three little containers of peanuts, potato chips, etc. as well as three little containers of tapas. There was one of cold chicken in a spicy broth, one egg potato salad, and one little spicy chicken wing. Nell and I gobbled up the tapas and enjoyed the local brew. When we ordered one more drink, the waiter came with all new peanuts, chips, and tapas. It was exactly what we had hoped for.

Around 7.45 we left and I started to walk home. It was cold enough where I could put my new sweater to use, so I wired my iPod up through my shirt, tossed on the fleece, and set out for another nice walk home at night along Sante Fe Street. I really enjoy walking the streets of Buenos Aires, and especially at night.

I arrived at my home, and hung out in my room for a little while. I knew that tonight would be an earlier night. After checking up on my US political news, and checking my email, I saw that Santiago, my host brother, had sent me an email asking if I would like to go to the Boca Juniors first home game of the new season this Sunday in the Stadio de Bombonera. I wrote back that I would be delighted to go. I am soooo excited to go to this soccer game. I have become friends with him very quickly, and this is soo perfect.

Pepin seems to have come down with a cold, and for dinner, I had some leftovers from last night and a taste of the meal for tonight. The meal was ground beef, with a thin layer of a mashed potato-esque substance. It was actually more flaky from the oven than mushy, so I actually enjoyed it very much. I sat with Patricia for dinner and we talked about a number of things from my day to how to make mashed potatoes.

It has been 20 minutes since dinner, and although it is only 10.45....I am very tired and ready to go to bed soon. Today was a good day, but besides the Spanish class in the morning, school orientation has been less than exciting. I know this information is necessary, but I really found myself enjoying the Spanish class in the morning today, which I think is a sign that I am willing to learn and push myself. Even when I am typing this entry, I find myself thinking how to phrase the next thought in Spanish. Today was a long day, but very efficient since I found a new pair of pants and a watch, both things that I needed.

I am looking forward to wandering and exploring new parts of the city that I have not seen yet. This city amazes me, and I have found myself very hungry for more information about the city. I am eager to learn more and experience more.

To recap my Spanish learned today: In Argentina, they do not use the tu form (second person singular)....they only use the vos form, which they do not teach in the US. It is still ok, since the vos form is very easy, and more irregular verbs are normal in the vos form. Also, I think today I really improved conjugating my verbs into the correct tense when I spoke. Again, I am not learning that much new info, but really improving what is already somewhere in the cobwebs of my brain.

As I told Patricia at the end of dinner.....I need to sleep a lot now, because when the weekend comes, I will be out partying with the locals till 6 in the morning.

Chao!

p.s. Today was another non-picture day. I have decided that I am only going to take pictures of this area on one day, since I am trying to blend in on most days. Carrying a camera and taking lots of pictures is a big clue that you are not a porteno (Buenos Aireian). I have realized that most Argentinians look just like Americans. Unlike other Latin American countries in which the people have a distinct look, when I see people on the street, I still expect them to speak English, since they look like they could be American. So, it should not be THAT hard for me to blend in as long as I can speak a little and not take pictures.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I am enjoying reading about your adventures and living vicaroiusly through you :)
Laura