Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Martes - Hace Calor!

So today was a beautiful weather day in Buenos Aires. As I walked to school today I had to take off the coat I was wearing since it was so warm and I was sweating....it was a great feeling I haven't had in a while.

Classes today were good. I had my first Cultural Icons class, and it was really interesting. The class is pretty full with students, I would say around 30, and the class is taught in Spanish. The professor is animated and speaks moderately fast but crisply. I can understand a lot, which I was really proud of myself for being able to do. For my last class being my junior year of high school, being here two weeks has really expanded the amount of Spanish I can take in and comprehend. Although I wasn't really ready to raise my hand and share my thoughts, I felt comfortable that the class was in Spanish. It is going to be a good experience and the material is very interesting. At one point the class, she showed us a ten minute clip from a movie. She showed us a scene from the American film Moulin Rouge. I have never seen it, and I was more confused by the movie in English than I was by the professor in Spanish. Not sure if it was because we only watched a short segment....but that might have been one of the weirdest movies I have ever seen.

After class Alex, Kate, Elise and I sat at a cafe and used the WiFi on my computer to look up buses and hostels for Iguazu Falls for this upcoming three day weekend. We found exactly what we wanted, but I needed my passport to book the tickets and make the reservation. My battery died, and Kate needed to leave to get to class, so we departed. I walked with Alex for a while down Sante Fe Ave, and for some reason forgot that I needed my passport and thought that the only reason I didn't already book the stuff was the fact my battery died. After 20 minutes of looked for another restaurant that had a power outlet I could use, I realized it was stupid of me to even have looked. The place we ended up at was fittingly Freddo, the competing ice cream store to Volta. I had to try the arch enemy to my beloved Volta, so Alex and I shared a small dish. The ice cream was good, but I really do think that Volta is better.

I got back to my house and wrote myself a to-do list. I started crossing stuff off as I got it done, and before I knew it, it was already 10pm. Patricia had told me that she was going off to eat with some friends that were only in town for one night, and had prepared me a plate that I needed just to heat up. This worked fine with me since I wasn't really in a talkative mood anyway. I ended up watching ESPN in Spanish and eating by myself....it was great.

By the time I finished eating, I had been changing channels and stumbled upon Clear and Present Danger on TV. I love that movie, so I had to watch some. Half an hour later, Santiago walked in and I was still in front of the TV in the kitchen. We talked for a little bit, and then he went to the bedroom as I went back to my room.

I need to find a good place to celebrate my birthday tomorrow night, since I can sleep in Thursday and have class Friday morning. Santiago said that he would come out for a drink with me to start the night, so I just need to find a good place to go for my big night.

Right now I am hustling through my to-do list and actually feeling like I have been productive tonight. I am looking forward to tomorrow's classes and the night that will follow. Life is good.

No comments: