Monday, August 6, 2007

Lunes - Long Walks and Great Pictures

Today was all about the afternoon. After a quick class in the morning than another traveling activity to the Plaza de Mayo and the museum that is under the Casa Rosada, it was noon and I had no places to be the rest of the day. I eat lunch at a really nice cafe on the corner of the Plaza de Mayo with Elise, Kate, and Alex. We sat for a long time and enjoyed lunch. Our conversation went everywhere, including some crazy college party stories.

After lunch Kate, Alex, and I walked down to Puerto Madero to see the waterside neighborhood we had quickly driven by on our CitiTour on Saturday. We walked alongside UCA, a local university, and other buildings on the water. We came upon the Puente de la Mujer, or bridge of the woman. This elegant white bridge that connects the two sides of the water channels. It is meant to be a piece of art and was crafted to represent the sexy women who dance the tango. We walked on the bridge and I took some pretty cool pictures.

We headed back towards the downtown area and pasted the Communications Secretary's building which was very grand. From there we needed to stop and make copies of Kate's passport, since Kate and Alex had an appointment for their criminal check, a step we all need to take to get student visas. My appointment is for Wednesday. On the walk to the agency, we stopped at the Cafe Tortina, a famous cafe that was decorated very nicely. After a tea and some little cookies it was time to drop them off at the agency. After we found the place, I decided to take a walk down Av 25 de Mayo to the Congressional Building. I had wanted to go there for some time, and this seemed like a perfect afternoon to do so since I had no where else to be.

From where I was it was a good 15-20 minute walk down Av 25 de Mayo, but it was really nice. This area of the city I had not yet explored, so it was a new adventure for me. I finally reached the Palacio de Congresso and took lots of pictures. I walked around the entire building. It is strange for me to be able to get so close to such important pictures after living in DC. The subway station is directly underneath the Congress, and to me that seems very unsafe. The subway station in the Plaza de Mayo was also directly under the Casa Rosada. It is sad that in this terrorist age I must worry about subway stations being close to important government buildings.

After walking around the Congress and enjoying the area, I sat down for a little at a cafe so I could use the bathroom. I read the travel section of the local paper that Patricia had given me last night that was about skiing in the Mendoza mountains. This particular article was about dropping out of helicopter and skiing down uncharted snow. I left this area and decided to walk back down Ave 25 de Mayo until I hit Av 9 de Julio. I wanted to go see what I could about the Teatro Colon, the famous opera house in Buenos Aires. It is under construction now and closed, but they do have tours. I walked around this building and tried to look around. I realized that the big temple in BA was only a block away, so I decided I would go and check it out. I found the beautiful temple and walked up to the security guard outside. I asked him if I could go inside and look around. He asked where I was from. I told him I was from New Jersey, America, and wanted to check out the temple since I was Jewish and interested in coming to services. We said that the temple was only open for tourists to look Tuesdays and Thursdays, and that I would need to bring my passport to get in. I was very surprised, but he said it was for security purposes. I asked when Shabbat services were, and he told me, and reminded me even for services I needed to bring my passport to get in. I think I will go soon, it seems like an interesting place and I think it would be a great experience.

I left the temple and walked to the IES Center. I spoke a little with Sebastain about my weekend and then although I needed to make copies of my passport, I didn't have it on me. I left shortly thereafter and walked to the bus station. The line was ridiculously long, so I figured it would make more sense to walk. I didn't want to walk straight home, so I decided to take a long route down to the southern areas of Recoleta which I had heard were very beautiful. I walked down and passed a few embassies, a few of which I took pictures of since they were so nice looking at night with the lights. This area was known for housing the mansions of the very wealthy at the turn of the century, but most of the mansions have been turned into museums or hotels at this point. I walked along the streets and took in some of the amazing architecture. It was a nice walk home.

I got home and check some email and started uploading my pictures. Santiago came home and we talked for a while about his weekend and mine, and then showed him some of my photos that I had taken earlier in the day.

I spoke to Lauren on skype for a little while, which was great. When Patricia came home, she walked into the room and spoke for a quick moment to Lauren over the camera...it was a cute moment.

I am planning on studying a little tonight since tomorrow is the placement exam for IES Spanish classes. I am not worried about the test, but just want to review some grammar and vocab before I take the test.

Tonight I realized how much I enjoy eating dinner with my new mama. Patricia is so great to talk to about life and Buenos Aires. We somehow have these great conversations about fairly complex ideas and I am able to communicate. I feel no pressure when I talk with her, and I think that really helps my Spanish. I am off to study for my exam tomorrow.

Check out the link for my pictures on the right of the page....that link gets updated every day. I have lots of new pictures up from today. Enjoy!

No comments: