Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Martes - Part 1 of Placement Exam and Trip to I.U.N.A

Today started off with a placement test for all students in the program. Everyone was given the same test, so it was quite difficult, and the results are going to be a factor into what Spanish class you are going to take. Tomorrow is the oral part of the exam. I thought the exam was fairly difficult, but I think I did a decent job of showing the knowledge that I already have, while also showing what I have left to learn and master, which is a significant amount.

After the test was over, around 10.30, Alex, Kate, and I went out to a cafe for a little break. I had a tea and some toast that was really needed since I did not have any breakfast. Afterwards, we all went to the travel agent to discuss some possibilities for trips around South America and Argentina while I am here. We looked into a few trips and spoke with the travel agent about different options.

Afterwards, we went to a bookstore that specializes in tourist info and travel guides and researched a little bit about the places we had looked into traveling to. I had to leave early since I was going to go with the IES Program to visit the art school in Buenos Aires, I.U.N.A, or Institute of the University of National Art. It took a while to get to the school on the bus, but after 40 minutes on a packed bus we finally arrived. We walked through the very artistic hallways and sat in a classroom while some women talked to us about the school. It is located in La Boca, a very cultural area of Buenos Aires, and the trip was nice. After the info session, the women addressed individual issues. I got on the bus home and felt a little tired. When I got home I needed to just relax and sit around my computer for a little bit. I did some research about the trips we had looked into and checked up on a lot of American political news.

I went and bought another international phone card and tested it, made some calls, and then sat at a cafe and planned out my semester over a cup of tea. I planned out which trips I would take on which days and with whom. I did a lot of planning for the future today. I got home and just vegged out in front of my computer for a while. I watched a lot of videos from The Daily Show and Colbert Report online, and felt up to date with the craziness of American politics.

Dinner was at 9:30pm and Patricia and I enjoyed some mini-meatballs over white rice and leftovers from last nights Roast Beef and roasted vegetables. We talked about my travel plans, my home in the US, and a few other topics. I learned a little about her family's background and what her family does.

After dinner I met up with Pete for a little. We hung out over one drink at a local bar. We had some good conversation, and were both really tired. I got home around 12.30am and now I am updating the blog before I go to bed. Today was definitely productive, but not that exciting. I have the oral exam tomorrow and then most of the day off in the afternoon. This week is going by very fast, and I am excited for classes to start and to get into a normal routine. Buenos Noches!

No comments: